"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

this happened too

I had planned to do a hefty Oscar nomination wrap-up entry, but the Heath Ledger business put a damper on a normally shameless, self-congratulatory frenzy of a day.

My parents always had an Oscar party when I was growing up. My dad started throwing them in college. Something tells me it was probably the only annual Oscar party Sherman, TX. Anyway, the Oscars have always meant celebration to my family. The day was always filled with preparation, the smells of my mom's special dishes, and the arrival of, at least in the years we lived in Dallas, a lot of Junior Leaguers with big hair and strong perfume. Most movie fans get into the yearly derby, but for me, it's family lore.

This year, the nominations offered few surprises. Atonement snuck into the top five ... I really thought it would go the way of Cold Mountain, a pretty, literary epic with high awards aspirations that failed to garner a Best Picture nomination. That means Sean Penn's soulful Into the Wild got snubbed (only receiving mentions for editing and supporting actor Hal Holbrook, who could well win), which is too bad.

The acting categories offered a few good mentions. I was excited to see Viggo Mortensen finally receive Academy attention (he should have made it for A History of Violence a few years ago). And while I disliked Eastern Promises enough to walk out, what I saw of his performance was impressive.

It was also nice to see Laura Linney make it into the Actress race. Overall, The Savages was pretty mediocre, but Linney is expert as always, playing a tattered, unraveling version of her role in You Can Count on Me. She's one of the best working, so it's nice to see her recognized. Also in that category, I'm a bit surprised to see Cate Blanchett (a double nominee this year) make it in for the drag queen walk-off that was Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Blanchett's my favorite, but even I think this is a bit much. Instead, they should have recognized (the admittedly overexposed) Angelina Jolie, for impressive work in A Mighty Heart.

Other gripes? Where's Zodiac's sublime editing, cinematography and art direction (not to mention Robert Downey Jr.)? Or the Simpsons Movie for animated feature? Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd? Jennifer Jason Leigh in Margot at the Wedding?

That's my take, what's yours?

1 comment:

Carly said...

Maybe everyone was distracted by the excruciating length of Zodiac and forgot everything good about it. That thing dragged like molasses.