"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

punctuation

So I just finished up the first week of my new job. I think it's going very well, and I can see myself being happy there for a long while. It's great to be surrounded by smart, articulate and friendly people at the office. Ugh, just listen to me. I'm so chipper, I almost used an exclamation mark. Last night, I celebrated with red wine and pizza, a sophisticated pairing. Good wine can make even the greasiest pizza feel like an elevated experience. Certainly above the standard pigging out.

I've also been packing like mad, readying myself for my big move today. The groan-inducing apartment search came to an end this week, and with winning results. I found a charming place in a killer location with a few cool-seeming roommates. The total New York experience will now begin, and yes, I am elated. Again, so much so that I almost used an exclamation mark.

A note on the exclamation mark anxiety. I had a creative writing professor in college (I say that as if it was so long ago, ha) who told us that every person gets five exclamation marks. Ever. "So make them count," he said. And I have. I find nothing more humorous than the glut of forceful enthusiasm that plagues a great deal of communication. Think of the self-congratulatory letters that flood mailboxes around the holidays. "Tom's team won the first game of the season! Then the second! And the third! Before we knew it, they won the state championship!"

According to the rule, that over-zealous sport fan only has one more exclamation mark to last a lifetime. Now I don't know how the karma works out, but when a person perpetually overuses the exclamation mark, aren't they lowering the bar for excitement in their lives? I don't know. I guess I'm more into smirking than gum-flaunting. But, again, I really am happy! That gives you a sense of scale. One down, four to go.

No comments: