"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

obligatory apartment search entry

I took the above picture of the iconic palm trees that line Hollywood Blvd. while walking home from a hike in Runyon Canyon sometime last year. I thought it appropriate to pair with this post because my Los Angeles apartment search was, simply put, heavenly. It was a Craig's List miracle. I coordinated the whole thing from Connecticut, and sealed the deal without leaving the living room. I lived in a studio apartment above a crazy lady's garage. The whole estate (which has since been carved into several properties) was designed in the 30s by the art director who did Mutiny on the Bounty. As such, the apartment had odd nautical design elements, including a porthole in the bathroom, above the toilet.
As awful as Los Angeles was as a whole, my living situation was (mostly) drama free. I will always recall it fondly, especially now as I traverse the New York real estate market with hair-tugging angst. I won't go into specifics, but it has been one disappointing near-miss after another. I hope to find something soon, as I start a new job in a week.
If you have been through this before, I appreciate all good will, advice, commiserating and connections.

No comments: