"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

song of the day - wednesday

Abe Vigoda, “Sequins”

A few weeks ago I caught Wild Nothing (who I just can’t get over I like them so much) at Bowery Ballroom with my friend and preferred concert buddy Claire. Wild Nothing of course rocked with all the 80s inspired nuance that their album Gemini and subsequent Golden Haze EP delivered. It was an all-around great show with Minks, who just released an impressive debut LP, opening with Abe Vigoda. I didn’t know anything about this LA-based group of awkward guys, but have come to love their sound. “Sequins”, the opening track off their album Crush, is both upbeat and sweeping, pretty representative of their overall sound. The lead singer's voice works for me, and it’s nicer to listen to than it is to watch him perform – I’ve never seen someone sweat so much live … it was a bit like Albert Brooks anchoring the weekend edition in Broadcast News.

Here’s the band performing the song live:

No comments: