"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

"this is charles of the ritz. this month's lipstick is salmon puree."

Don't mistake the quote above with the previous few entries. One of these things is not like the other. The last few titles were from camp classic Valley of the Dolls, which I saw for the first time just a few weeks ago.

This title, though, comes from Americana, Don DeLillo's first novel, which I just finished. I'm reading all of DeLillo's books, in order. One down, thirteen to go.

Americana is pretty uneven ... it follows a snarky television executive who leaves New York on a cross-country quest to document real, American lives ... you know, to find our what America is all about. DeLillo nails New York corporate culture, and this satirical first part of the novel works quite well. And there are priceless lines and dialogue. But it descends into near incoherent philosophical babble. Oh well. The first of many.

1 comment:

Sara Christine said...

Underworld. One of my favorite books of all time. I felt so small everytime I read it, like being in the presence of the Pope or something. You're just 11 books away!