"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

"that was all, just a kiss between paragraphs."

I thought today's Tuesday top five should be Oscar-related. The ceremony will go on this Sunday (thank goodness they settled that strike) and as I've mentioned before, I grew up with Oscar parties. It's nostalgia, americana, glitz and lore. I'm toying with having a get-together myself, but I'm on the fence. I don't know if my friends are that into it, but I'm sure if I sell it as a sequin and botox extravaganza (with wine, no less), they'll at least show.

Speaking of sequins, the outfits at these things are half the fun. So, here we go, my ceremonial countdown of the five most outrageous Oscar outfits (according to me, and outrageous not necessarily meaning bad).

1. Cher, as a goth pinata. The year? Trivial. This is our past, present and future. She hasn't aged, so why should we date the picture. It's Cher at her most Cher. This is why we love and cherish, and why it's so much less fun without her.

2. The Amex Dress. The motley Australian duo to the right won the Best Costume Oscar for the smashing The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (which is you haven't seen, you really shouldn't be reading this blog). We shouldn't have been that surprised at Lizzi Gardener's attire, as she did outfit Guy Pearce in a dress made of flip flops for that film. It did cause quite the stir in 1994 ... and how many other costume designers do we still gab about today? Looking at this picture now, though, I wonder why we didn't make a bigger stink about her design partner's apparent lack of pants. Talk about a double standard.

3. Charlize Theron, now co-starring with a giant, black bow. First off, I love her. A few years ago, she not only had to deal with snarky pundits bemoaning her nomination for North Country, but she showed up in couture and the fashionistas started in as well. It's a bold, very runway look, and I applaud it. Outrageous? Of course. Awful? Puh-leeze.

4. Geena Davis vs. a rufflied, white train. Within five years, she was in Cutthroat Island. Need I say more?

5. It's ... Cher, again! I just couldn't help it. Different hat. Different decade. Same face! Eeep!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

fyi
i'm reading.

Carly said...

Cher actually had that first dress made to intentionally thumb her nose at the fashion critics. Did you catch a bit of her in that outfit on one of the everpresent Oscars montages? She said something like, "Now this is an Oscars dress."