"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

something else

I just realized that my last few posts have been totally film-centric. There's more going on in my life, trust me, but things have been so busy that it's been a chore to write. I do want to do a Thanksgiving post, but there's still a lot to digest on that one (surely I could come up with a better way to put that ... buy you know what I mean).

Anyway, winter hit New York this weekend. I awoke to snow on Sunday morning, and even though I was still fighting a head cold (which I am still not rid of), I took a brief walk in my neighborhood. It was another "I Love New York" moment, with everything blanketed in white, snow still falling, smiles galore, etc. And, even though people were out and about, it was markedly calm. The clamor of 2nd avenue felt especially dulled.

I picked up a new pair of gloves, too, given that I have already sacrificed one pair to the subway gods (ugh). I've never understood fingerless gloves. They just seem like a frost bite accelerant. But lately I've seen people wearing fingerless gloves that convert to mittens ... the mitten portion folds over the fingers when you're braving the elements, and then you can fold it back and use your fingertips when grabbing cash, keys, etc. When I was out among the snow flurries, I picked up a pair. I'm totally pro. They eliminate the anxiety of the seasonal fumbling for things ... and allow you to keep your gloves on all the time, making them a tad harder to lose.

So, there you go, a post about something other than film. We can file this one under accessories.

1 comment:

emlocke said...

I wear fingerless gloves in my office. I'm in book publishing—we don't have money to spend on things like heat. Oh, but you wouldn't know about that now would you? Just kidding.