"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

because you shouldn't have to be a celebrity to fill out the New York survey

After reading Brian Williams' stomach-turning responses to New York's survey, I decided to give it a try. If you didn't know, real people are almost always more fascinating than celebrities. If you're so inclined, turn in yours in the comments section.

Who: Jon
Job: Communication Analyst
Age: 23 (24 on Monday ... eeep!)
Neighborhood: East Village
Who's your favorite New Yorker, living or dead, real or fictional?: I bet a lot of people pick Daisy Buchanan. Real, living is Joan Didion. Real, dead is Dorothy Parker. Fictional? Annie Hall.
What's the best meal you've eaten in New York?: When I was in high school we would go to Cafe Artistes the day after Thanksgiving every year with visiting friends. All of those meals, combined.
In one sentence, what do you actually do all day in your job?: I develop and implement communication strategies for companies.
Where do you get your coffee?: The fresh roast place on 8th St. and 2nd Ave., Cafe Pick Me Up, that guy in the cart outside my office who has memorized my morning order. I don't even have to say "the usual."
What's the last thing you saw on Broadway?: The Year of Magical Thinking.
Do you give money to panhandlers?: If I have change in my pocket.
What's your drink?: Jack and (Diet) Coke.
How often do you prepare your own meals: I rarely don't.
What's hanging above your sofa?: In my bedroom I have a large silk screen of a black vinyl record on an orange canvas.
How much is too much to spend on a haircut?: I spend too much. This is a touchy subject. Let's move on.
When's bedtime?: Somewhere north of midnight.
Brunch. Pro or con?: It's my favorite meal to have out.
What's your thread count?: Ask me in 10 years.
What do you hate most about living in New York?: Rent.
What's your brand of jeans: St. Augustine, from a boutique in Echo Park in LA.
When's the last time you drove a car?: September. (I'm new).
Who should be the next president?: Hillary.
Times, Post or Daily News?: Times (of course).
Yankees or Mets?:
If you had a ticket, I would go to either game, as beer would be involved regardless.
What makes someone a New Yorker?:
Gumption, wit, sass, neurosis and the belief that living anywhere else would be a waste of time.

1 comment:

emlocke said...

The New York survey is supposed to be 21 questions and it's been driving me nuts that I can't figure out which one you skipped! Finally got it: What's your favorite medication?