"nothing very interesting happens in well-lighted places."

like walking through a warhol photograph

This past weekend my parents were in town and I took my mom to MOMA. She had never been, and loved the fact that I could get in free with my company's corporate membership. 
There's so much great stuff there right now ... the color exhibit is fun, and I always love seeing Dan Flavin pieces. The highlight, though, wasn't Flavin, though it was clearly Flavin-inspired. Scandinavian artist Olafur Eliasson's Take Your Time features site-specific light installations, much like Flavin. The picture to the left was taken in a hallway, which, with the help of overhead orange light, transforms the space and creates the effect of walking through an overexposed photograph. Another highlight was a piece I called "The Fortress of Solitude", a circular wall of shifting color fields. 
I love light installations, it makes the spectator a participator in the piece, and also powerfully transforms space. It's like wading through celluloid.
For more information on the Eliasson exhibit, visit the MOMA.

No comments: